I toil away in big Pharma by day, paper chase an international adoption by night, and squeeze in hockey whenever possible. Plus, I'm pretty, witty and gay.

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Ani

Friday night my friend K and I went to see Ani DiFranco. I've seen her in concert 5 or 6 times, and I think this was my second favorite. The first time I saw her was October 1994, my gay and lesbian group at college sponsored her to play for Coming Out Day. I met her backstage. Besides being tiny, cute, and green haired, she was a bit grumpy. She had forgotten that Wisconsin was an hour behind us, so she was very late, and this was when it was just her and her drummer touring around in a car, and our stage manager opened the theater before the sound checks were done. All that was forgotten when she started, she put on a great performance in a very small venue. It was intimate and intense and my favorite concert. This time, her openning act was Hamell on Trial. He did a great job getting the crowd warmed up; he was very funny, a great guitarist, a so-so singer, but with wicked lyrics. He freaked the little old ladies out who were ushering with a song about the nastiness of Ann Coulter's nether regions. He's my new hero.

On the home front, it was a very social weekend, and now I'm tired and don't want to talk to anyone.

Adoption update: no new news. International adoption is a fickle friend. Every day I hope that today's the day I'll get my referrals. God, I hate waiting. I know they're out there. They've identified several children for referral, but the coordinator needs to make sure all their paperwork is in order before they release them for adoption. I know why I'm waiting but IT"S SO HARD! So, that's where we are: anti-social, and impatient.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lady Jane Scarlett said...

How anti-social are you right now?? Will the smell of warm roasted garlic and a pint of stout bring you back??

4:10 PM

 
Blogger Ber said...

LJS, I much enjoyed the food and cheesecake, but I must ask: how'd you get those broken capillaries on your neck? ;)

2:09 PM

 
Blogger Mugwug said...

Wow, no idea you had a blog until you left a comment on mine. Good stuff, been enjoying the reading.

WRT Anne Coulter, don't know if you've seen this, but uncle Hank is one of my all time favorites, and has a little piece dedicated to her. It's rather entertaining.

Cheers!

2:32 PM

 
Blogger Lady Jane Scarlett said...

We muchly enjoyed dinner and cheesecake also, even though those pesky Canadians still insist that their Smarties are better.
{blushing}
The motorcycle helmet pinched me on my neck.

12:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home