I toil away in big Pharma by day, paper chase an international adoption by night, and squeeze in hockey whenever possible. Plus, I'm pretty, witty and gay.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Old Home Week

This week has brought a couple of interesting coincidences. Now that I'm on blogger, I went searching for people I might know, and I found one: g8s. G8s and I went to college together. He was actually the first person I met there; we were on the same KCollege tour as high school seniors, and as it turned out, he already knew my roommate, Juice. In his blog he writes about a friend of ours, Blake, and his desire to get back in touch. I've been cleaning out my house preparing for the adoption homestudy, and I just went through a box of papers I haven't opened since college. I found a letter Blake had written me while he was on foreign study in Sierra Leone. I started thinking about the way we leave our marks on each other, how our lives often split, then intersect again later. My biggest regret, my greatest embarassment is my failure to keep in touch with the people I love. I think about them often, but have let them slip through my fingers, like sand. Each have left their mark on me, changed me, bettered me, and I love them for no other reason than that they are who they are. G8s, Blake, Juice, Key, Ilana, Kate, Stephanie, thank you for everything, and I will do better. Katee would be in that list too, except she just tracked me down after many years. I am so happy for her, and proud of her for the changes she's made. We all grow up, some times grow apart, but we were always meant to be a part of each other's lives. I like to imagine how we'll meet in our next lives as well. Will Juice always help me be true to myself? Will Key always talk politics, history, and film with me? Will he always call me Tycho Brahe (that would be in reference to my hard nosed positions, folks, not the lack of a nose, yo)? Will Ilana always be my first love? Will Katee always make me laugh? I really hope so.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Will Key always talk politics, history, and film with me? Will he always call me Tycho Brahe...?"

Yes.

Miss you.

4:14 PM

 
Blogger Lady Jane Scarlett said...

Post more often. Dammit woman!

1:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you even check this anymore you lazy blogger? hey cool site. this is juice. i miss you too. thank mikey for getting me here. and i should thank you for the most wonderful letter and cds that me and baby ever listened to - ever. sorry i've been out of touch. been a little bit under the radar lately. in process of separation. but how are you? why is there no email attahced to this? do you have your uzbekistani babies yet? are you insane adopting two kids at the same time? these are just some of the many thoughts i think of tonight as i prep for my one or two hours of sleep before the baby wakes up.

sweet dreams ber
love you
juicy

12:58 AM

 
Blogger Ber said...

JUICE AND KEY!!!!!!!!!

SQUEEEEE!!!!!

ahem.

Yes, I am crazy for adopting two, but I was always optimistic in strange ways.

11:07 PM

 
Blogger Ber said...

um, what's the best way to get a hold of you? you can email me at watts_826 on yahoo, i'm using that account again. i check it several times a week.

11:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home